Member Priority: Horticulture
September 7, 2017
Is it possible to “accidentally” start a business? If you ask Jan Libbey, co-founder of North Iowa Fresh, the answer is “yes”. Jan is the first person to admit that she wears several hats. In fact, it was while she was wearing her Healthy Harvest of North Iowa hat that the conversation began about looking […]
August 29, 2017
Let’s start with the last thing first – everyone who attended the field day got to make and take home a mushroom production block. Field day host Tyson Allchin is so energized to get others growing mushrooms that he donated all the blocks, not blinking when 70+ people showed up. Mushroom production – especially indoor […]
August 17, 2017
This year marks the 30th anniversary of Practical Farmers’ Cooperators’ Program. Since 1987, members have been conducting on-farm research to answer questions they have about their farming operations. It’s one of the ways we accomplish our mission: Strengthening farms and communities through farmer-led investigation and information sharing. The Research Protocols forms outlining research projects for […]
August 2, 2017
1. Determine whether multiple tillage passes (to decrease soil organic matter) is an effective control of scurf in Beauregard sweet potatoes. Scurf harms marketability and storage life of sweet potatoes.
Year 1 Objectives:
1. Determine differences in cost and labor for strawberry bed establishment using two methods: biodegradable plastic and mat row
1. Determine if grazing sheep on a cover crop prior to a brassica crop affects yield, compared to brassicas following an un-grazed cover crop.
1. Determine if no-till planting of Salanova lettuce reduces labor compared to tilled, bare soil plantings and tilled, landscape fabric plantings.
2. Determine if no-till vs. tilled plantings of Salanova have different yields and quality.
3. Track input costs of no-till vs. tilled plots for Salanova.
1. Determine which lettuce variety: Coastal Star, Hampton, Magenta or Muir, performs best as a summer lettuce in Iowa. (For this study, a summer lettuce is harvested during July).