Tag: lemon basil
In a Nutshell
• Two farmers planted strips of flowering
herbs – anise hyssop, borage, and
lemon basil – with cash crops on their
farms. Pollinators in prairie strips were
• Farmers evaluated characteristics of
the herbs and assessed pollinator use
of the herbs by doing transect counts
of pollinators during bloom.
• Neither farm had successful direct
seedings of anise hyssop (McGary had
success with transplanting).
• Borage filled out and flowered earliest
though it became top-heavy, fell over,
and had late-season weed management
• Lemon basil (and anise hyssop, at Mc-
Gary’s) had healthy, upright habits but
required more early-season weeding
• Small native bees had the most individuals
counted among all pollinator
groups observed on both farms.
• Hartmann’s lemon basil had the most
pollinators; at McGary’s, borage had
the highest average count.
December 7, 2016
Objectives: Evaluate the flowering period, pollinator activity, and attractiveness of three annual flowering herbs:
borage, lemon basil, and anise hyssop or cilantro.
June 28, 2016